SEEKING REPORTER/STAFF WRITER
The Trucker Media Group (TTMG) is the leading source of trucking industry news and truck driver recruitment for the long-haul trucking industry in the US, proudly serving the industry for over 30 years. TTMG is the publisher of the nationally recognized TheTrucker.com, The Trucker (industry-leading newspaper published twice a month for long haul truck drivers), The Trucker Jobs Magazine (truck driver recruiting and editorial magazine published monthly) and the official publication of the Truckload Carriers Association, Truckload Authority (published six times a year).
TTMG is in search of a reporter to research and cover daily news and features related to the trucking industry. This includes daily online stories, in-depth print stories, intriguing personality profiles, and other writing as assigned.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be motivated, self-starting multi-skilled journalist familiar with generating daily content
- Have a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication or a related field
- Have two to three years of newsroom experience (preferred, but not required. College media participation will be considered, depending on the quality of the college/university news outlets.)
- Must be familiar with Associated Press style
- Be familiar with news writing for print and digital (both short and long form)
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced daily news environment
- Present a portfolio of online and print news coverage
- Familiarity with WordPress preferred, but not required
- Have hands-on experience with social media platforms (professional management not required, but preferred)
- Have interest in both hard news and features
- Be able to quickly rewrite and edit press releases and a good sense of when follow up is needed for full story
- Be looking to build relationships and network for writing opportunities
- Have a working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign (preferred, but not required)
- Photography experience preferred, but not required
- Bring a basic knowledge of (or an interest in learning about) the trucking industry (experience in writing about trucking is not required, but a candidate is expected to grasp the importance and basic workings of the supply chain)
- Be able to travel occasionally for some assignments
Skills and characteristics needed:
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills; critical thinker with an eye for detail
- Ability to think “outside the box” and come up with creative and fresh ideas
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills; team player
- Strong organization skills, and ability to prioritize and multitask; ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- An eagerness to learn and grow through constructive feedback
This position will be based in Little Rock, Arkansas and will report directly to the managing editor.
TTMG offers a dynamic team environment, competitive salary, paid time off, 401(k) Plan and a comprehensive benefits package, which includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a flexible spending account; and disability insurance. Interested candidates should send a resume and three to five writing samples to email@example.com.